The death of Garrett Reid, the son of Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid, was ruled to be caused by an accidental overdose of heroin.
The Aug. 5 death of Garrett Reid was confirmed to be caused by an accidental heroin overdose by the Northampton County Coroner on Thursday afternoon. Reid was the son of Philadelphia Eagles head coach Andy Reid.
Garrett's body was found in a Lehigh University dorm room on the morning of Aug. 5 prior to an Eagles training camp practice. He had been working with the team as a strength and conditioning coach and had been involved with the team since 2009.
The coroner confirmed that investigators found drug paraphernalia at the scene, which included a syringe, spoon and prescription medications. Upon searching the 29-year-old's apartment, investigators also found 47 syringes and needles in a gym bag as well as 47 vials of an unknown substance.
While the official toxicology report comes close to two months after the death occurred, the time frame for the release of the results remains consistent with other investigations that involve toxicology reports.