Mike Stobe - Getty Images
@FakeWIPCaller on the trade the Phillies absolutely must make
With the Phillies' disgraceful season finally coming to an end on Wednesday, it's time to look ahead to the offseason and to the one move the team can't afford to not make.
Angels outfielder Mike Trout is an absolute phenom who's a shoo-in for rookie of the year and possibly MVP, after hitting .324 with 30 homers and 83 RBIs this year. Trout is a native of Millville, N.J., and he admitted in an interview with CSN Philly last week that he still roots for the Phillies, even sometimes referring to the Phils, and not the Angels, as "we."
I say we grant him his wish. The Phillies must make trading for Mike Trout their primary goal this offseason- and I really don't care who they have to give up in return.
We all know the Phils need outfielders, they need offensive firepower, and they need youth. Trout will give them all three.
He's a superstar, who's only 21 years old. Even better, he's under team control for five more years and makes a salary under $1 million. And we don't have to ask whether he's a Philly guy, because he's from here!
Trading for him is a no-brainer. Because we know the Angels have money to spend, they can probably eat some contracts. So Cliff Lee, Domonic Brown and a couple of prospects should get it done. And I've gotta say- I'm going to lose a lot of respect for Ruben Amaro if he can't pull this deal off.
Yea, I know, you're probably saying the Angels would never let a phenom like Trout get away. But isn't that what they said about the Knicks and Jeremy Lin?
So go for it, Phils. I'm already excited for the next ten years of Mike Trout starring for the Phillies, and Nick Foles for the Eagles.
Other Philly sports takes:
- Speaking of phenoms… Why do the Phillies get a pass for not playing Darin Ruf until the last week of the season?
- The Eagles are clearly the worst 3-1 team in NFL history. Wake me up when they've scored more points this year than they've given up.
- On Tuesday, the WIP morning show gave away a signed Brian Dawkins jersey to the listener who could name the Hollywood actress with the "best boobs." I can't imagine a more honorable and dignifying culmination of Dawk's Philadelphia career than that. I'm just upset that no one named obvious winner- and Philly native- Kat Dennings.
- If I had a contract for $125 million, I'd find it in my heart to play the last three games of the season with a broken big toe.
- I enjoyed the CSN 15th anniversary special, but why'd they leave out the moment when Eric Snow fell asleep at the broadcast table during a Sixers game?
- So drug dealers in town are selling heroin with the brand name "LeBron James," and not that of any Sixers player? What an embarrassment for the franchise.
- The A's making the playoffs is proof that the wrong baseball team left Philadelphia.
Should the Phillies trade for Mike Trout?
Yes (19 votes)
Hell yes (61 votes)
80 total votes