The Philadelphia Eagles have gained ground in the majority of power ranking polls following an impressive division win against the New York Giants on Sunday night. Coming into the game off a dissappointing loss to the Arizona Cardinals, many built Sunday night's matchup to be an early season test for the Eagles.
Their performance ultimately paid off in the NFC East standings as well as the power polls.
Week 2 of the NFL season is in the books and what do we know? Well, the Cardinals are undefeated and Saints are winless. C.J. Spiller and Reggie Bush are the league's leading rushers. The Eagles have 9 turnovers and 2 wins. Oh and Jake Locker has rushed for more yards than Chris Johnson (on 15 fewer carries).
So yeah, things are not quite going as planned. Here's our week 3 NFL power ranks.
1) 49ers - They just keep rolling with an easy looking win over Detroit. (LW 1)
2) Falcons - It's rare to see Peyton Manning confused, but the Falcons defense did that for much of the game last night. (LW 6)
3) Texans - What the the Texans need is a win over someone that matters. They'll have that chance at Mile High next week. (LW 4)
4) Eagles - There's been a lot of talk about the turnovers the Eagles have committed, but what about the amount they've forced? It's 6 in 2 games. (LW 12)
5) Packers - Very tricky matchup coming here in Seattle. Could tell us a lot about this team. (LW 7)
6) Ravens - Everyone wrote the story last week that Joe Flacco turned a corner and the Ravens were Super Bowl favorites. Joe might have turned back Sunday. (LW 2)
7) Giants - Scored a ridiculous 25 points in the 4th quarter. But that covers up surrendering 35 to the Bucs at home. (LW 10)
26) Dolphins - Reggie Bush is currently 2nd in the NFL in rushing. (LW 31)
27) Raiders - They were destroyed by Miami, but the trends will tell you that west coast teams traveling to the east coast for an early game after playing on Monday night is a rough spot... and it really was for the Raiders. (LW 21)
28) Colts - Andrew Luck's line? 20-31, 224 yds, 2 TDs. So I guess just the one week of rookie growing pains and he's ready to go? (LW 32)
29) Vikings - Defense has given up 23 points in each of their first 2 games. So offense... the job is clear! (LW 25)
30) Titans - Chris Johnson thinks the rest of the Titans offense needs to do its job. He has 19 yards rushing this season. (LW 19)
31) Chiefs - Giving up 37.5 points per game, tied for worst in the league. (LW 26)
32) Jaguars - Gaining just 236 yards per game... ladies and gentleman, the worst offense in the NFL. (LW 29)
The Philadelphia Eagles lost a spot in the SB Nation power rankings due to an extremely close call against the cellar-dwelling Cleveland Browns. Eagles fans won't be pleased to see where their next opponent, the Baltimore Ravens, stand in those rankings.
With NFL training camps just a week away, we're releasing our first power ranking of the year. Undoubtedly injuries, surprises and disappointments will have this list looking a lot different at the end of the season, but it should be interesting to revisit to see how teams have performed relative to their preseason expectations.