The 2011 NFL Draft is underway from Radio City Music Hall in New York City. While we wait for the Philadelphia Eagles’ selection at No. 23, here’s what’s transpired through the first 11 picks of the first round.
1) Carolina Panthers — Cam Newton, QB, Auburn
2) Denver Broncos — Von Miller, LB, Texas A&M
3) Buffalo Bills — Marcell Dareus, DT, Alabama
4) Cincinnati Bengals — AJ Green, WR, Georgia
5) Arizona Cardinals — Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU
6) Atlanta Falcons (via Cleveland) — Julio Jones, WR, Alabama
7) San Francisco 49ers — Aldon Smith, LB, Missouri
8) Tennessee Titans — Jake Locker, QB, Washington
9) Dallas Cowboys — Tyron Smith, OT, USC
10) Jacksonville Jaguars (via Washington) — Blaine Gabbert, QB, Missouri
11) Houston Texans — JJ Watt, DE, Wisconsin
12) Minnesota Vikings — Christian Ponder, QB, Florida State
The major surprises came at No. 8 when the Tennessee Titans selected University of Washington quaterback Jake Locker. Nobody denied Locker’s god-given athletic gifts, but his accuracy issues led most to believe that Locker wouldn’t be taken until the early or middle stages of the second round.
Then, a few picks later at No. 12, the Minnesota Vikings announced another shocking quarterback selection when they took Florida State signal caller Christian Ponder.
Some might be surprised by the selections of Smith by San Francisco considering Gabbert was still on the board. And for how porous Houston’s secondary was, most thought Nebraksa corner Prince Amukamara was the obvious selection at No. 11.
All very interesting! And we’re only just getting started. With the Eagles’ selection at No. 23 just around the corner, stay tuned here and at Bleeding Green Nation for more updates and reactions as the first round of the 2011 NFL Draft continues to unfold from New York City.