Italy’s Giorgia Bronzini has won the Liberty Classic, which is the women’s event which is run with the Philadelphia International Cycling Championship. The Liberty Classic follows the same course as the men, but it is run only four times as opposed to ten.
28 year old Giorgia Bronzini is the reigning Road World Champion and made her debut in the Liberty Classic today. She had the help of some inside knowledge as she rode today with teammate and Philadelphia resident Theresa Cliff-Ryan as her teammate.
Cliff-Ryan gave Bronzini a tour of the route this week and Bronzini said that she hoped one of the two would be crossing the finish line as the victor.
“I would be happy to win this race for sure, because so many great sprinters have won it,” Bronzini told Cyclingnews. “I feel very good with this team and I’m sure that if I am not very good at the end of the race, Theresa will be there and she is in good form right now. Together we can do a very good result for the team.”
Here is the order of the top 15 from Podium Cafe
1. Giorgia Bronzini (Ita) Colavita-Forno d'Asolo, 2:28:28
2. Shelley Olds (USA) Diadora-Pasta Zara, s.t.
3. Jennifer Purcell (USA) Team Danbury Audi, s.t.
4. Joelle Numainville (Can) Tibco To The Top, s.t.
5. Chloe Hosking (Aus) HTC-Highroad, s.t.
6. Joanne Kiesanowski (NZl) Tibco To The Top, s.t.
7. Christina Gokey-Smith (USA) Now and Novartis for MS, s.t.
8. Laura Van Gilder (USA) Mellow Mushroom, s.t.
9. Theresa Cliff-Ryan (USA) Colavita-Forno d'Asolo, s.t.
10. Barbara Guarischi (Ita) Colavita-Forno d'Asolo, s.t.
11. Liza Rachetto (USA) Team Danbury Audi, s.t.
12. Kate Chilcott (NZl) CRCA, s.t.
13. Couteney Loew (NZl) CRCA, s.t.
14. Joanie Caron (Can) Juvedern-Specialized, s.t.
15. Catherine Cheatley (NZl) Colavita-Forno d'Asolo, s.t.