The two-week long extravaganza that was the London Olympics is now over, leaving the United States on top of the podium and us viewers at home devoid of random sports to watch. From Michael Phelps to Gabby Douglas, the United States had its fair share of memorable faces and moments and ended up comfortably beating China in both overall medals and most gold medals.
Athletes from the Philadelphia area had a decent part in that overall victory: Brendan Hansen left the pool with a pair of medals, while Carli Lloyd scored both goals in Team USA's gold medal soccer win over Japan, one of two Philly-region athletes on the team. All told, 10 Philadelphia athletes brought back medals, including six who won golds in five different sports. Here's the full list, sorted by medal.
- Susan Francia, Abington, PA, rowing, women's eights
- Jordan Burroughs, Camden, NJ, wrestling, freestyle 74kg
- Brendan Hansen, Haverford Township, PA, swimming, gold, 4x100m medley, also earned bronze in 100m breast
- Jamie Gray, Lebanon, PA, shooting, 50m rifle, 3 positions
- Nicole Barnhart, Pottstown, PA, soccer
- Carli Lloyd, Marlton, NJ, soccer
- Lauren Tamayo, Bethlehem, PA, cycling, silver (team pursuit)
- Matt Emmons, Mount Holly, NJ, shooting, bronze (50m rifle, 3 positions)
- Lisa Raymond, Norristown, PA, bronze, tennis (mixed doubles)
- Glenn Ochal, Philadelphia, rowing, bronze (men's fours)
To see where all Team USA medalists hail from, here's a map tagging each medalists hometown:
View Team USA Medalists By Hometown in a full screen map
Stick with this StoryStream for full coverage of local athletes in the 2012 Summer Olympics.